Lowell

Lowell
Lost Valley 2010

Friday, April 5, 2013

Thumbs Up to Roger Ebert







Yesterday, one of the saddest things in the history of entertainment had happened. Roger Ebert, the critic and writer for the Chicago Sun Times, passed away. Because of Ebert's unfortunate passing, I decided to take this time to reflect on how much Roger Ebert has meant to the industry, and to me.

Roger Ebert began writing for the Chicago Sun Times in 1967. In 1975, he began co-hosting a weekly film called Sneak Preview. Three years later, Gene Siskel became a co-host when the show was picked up by PBS for national distribution. The two critics became famous for coining the phrase "Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down!". They eventually invented the words "Two Thumbs Up!"

In 1982, they moved from PBS to launch a similar syndicated television show called At The Movies With Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert. It was a weekly show where they discussed and reviewed the latest films.

And this was not just any ordinary review show, where they just said "The movie's good! Go see it!" or "The movie's not very good. I recommend not seeing it." These two would discuss and describe every film they saw as if it was the Bible. These men took film seriously. To them, film was not a pass time. It was a way of life.

From Citizen Kane to The Godfather. From Star Wars to E.T. The Extra Terrestrial. From Who Framed Roger Rabbit to Beauty and the Beast. If these two saw a movie they really loved, and I mean really really REALLY loved, they would gush about it like a school girl.

And if they saw a movie they hated, like North or Jaws: The Revenge, they would rant and rant and rant. And each rant would be as hilarious as the last.

And, on many occasions, the two would disagree on a film. One of them would like the film, and the other would totally hate it. And when they disagreed, they didn't merely end the review by saying "Oh, okay. Well I guess we all have different tastes." No. These two would go at it like two little boys fighting over a G.I. Joe action figure. These two would argue and argue. Even if it was over a kids film like Good Burger. These two were very passionate about film.

They were both different kinds of critics. Gene Siskel was more analytical. He would foucus on every, tiny, solitary, little detail that most people would ignore. Meanwhile Roger Ebert preferred to look at the big picture. He preferred to see every film as an experience. These two different personalities were the perfect match-up to each other. Their chemistry was a perfect balance. They were so different, and yet so similar. Even though they had different styles and personalities, they both agreed on one thing: they absolutely LOVED the movies.

On February 20, 1999, Gene Siskel passed away from complications of surgery. It was a sad day in the movie world, almost like yesterday. Roger Ebert felt sad and devastated that his partner and friend had gone.

But the show must go on. Siskel and Ebert was later changed to Roger Ebert at the Movies, and it had weekly critics guests like Leanord Maltin and Joel Seigel. Finally, in 2000, Richard Roeper came on as a replacement for Gene Siskel. The show was changed to Ebert and Roeper. Even though Richard Roeper could not compare to the sharp wit and charisma, or the same passion to cinema, that Gene Siskel brought to the show, Richard Roeper proved to be a worthy successor. He had a good chemistry with Roger Ebert.

Sadly, in 2006, Roger Ebert suffered from Thyroid cancer in his lower jaw. So he had to leave the show. He was later replaced with Michael Philips. Richard Roeper later quit, because he was displeased with the direction the show was going. The show got worse and worse, and eventually was cancelled in 2010. They tried to revive the show with Ebert Presents At The Movies in 2011.

Roger Ebert continued to write reviews for the Chicago Sun-Times, until his death on April 4, 2013 yesterday.

I discovered Roger Ebert when I was watching Bonus Features on the DVD of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. I was watching the trailers and TV spots. One of the TV spots was "Reviews". It said critics quotes about the film. The TV spot said "Ebert & Roeper give it Two Thumbs Up!" I asked my Mom "Who's Ebert & Roeper?" Mom said "Oh, they are movie critics." She told me all about them. I eventually looked up videos of Ebert and Roeper on YouTube. I would watch them for hours and hours. I later discovered Siskel and Ebert. I would watch those for hours and hours as well.

I discovered Roger Ebert written reviews through Rotten Tomatoes. His reviews to me were a work of art. I absolutely adored his sharp wit, his open mind, and his indescribable love for movies. All my life, I have loved movies. I love to think about them, I love to talk about them, I love to watch them, I love to read about them. Roger Ebert understood that passion I had. This man lived and breathed movies. I loved reading Roger Ebert's reviews so much, it inspired me to become a movie critic myself. And that is why I write reviews on this blog occasionally.

Roger Ebert, I hope you are in Heaven reading this. I want you to know just how much you inspired me. If it wasn't for you, I would never have even considered becoming a writer. If it wasn't for you, I would think of my love for movies as an unhealthy obsession. You taught me just how important it is to love movies.

Yesterday, I had my Eagle Scout Board of Review. And in one part of the review, the Board Members asked me what Merit Badge I would add if I could. I told them "I would add a pop culture badge. A badge where you have to learn the history of movies, TV, and music. I think movies are important to learn about. To quote the late Roger Ebert, "Movies are important, because they affect the way we think and feel. In some ways positively. And in some ways negatively." I passed my Board of Review. And the fact that I used a quote by you, Roger Ebert, just makes the experience so much more rewarding.

When I grow up, I have always wanted to be an actor/writer/director/comedian. And for years, I have always dreamed of reading Roger Ebert's reviews of my films. But now, I'll have to wait until I meet him in Heaven to hear his reviews of my films.

I hope you are in Heaven right now, with Gene Siskel, eating popcorn, and reviewing every future film release.

Thank you Roger Ebert. You will always be remembered. To you, I give... Two Thumbs Up!

See you at the movies!


No comments:

Post a Comment