Lowell

Lowell
Lost Valley 2010

Sunday, April 17, 2016

The Jungle Book Review: A Disney Live Action Retelling You'll Go ApeFor!



If there’s one thing Disney is know for, it’s revisiting their most beloved work. Whether it’s re-release in theaters or Blu-Ray, sequels, TV Spin offs, or most recently remakes. From Alice In Wonderland to Maleficent to Cinderella. No matter how you feel about these adaptations, love them or hate them, there’s no denying they have been incredibly lucrative for the house Walt built, and why we will no doubt see more in the future.

Their latest attempt at bringing back a beloved classic of theirs is The Jungle Book. Directed by Jon Favreau, the director of Iron Man which helped kick off one of Disney’s most successful and profitable franchises to date the Marvel Cinematic Universe, has been given the difficult task of taking one of their most beloved and iconic films, which was also the last film Walt Disney himself had a hand in before his death, and introducing it to a new generation.

The 1967 original holds a special place in my family’s heart. It’s one of my personal favorite Disney movies. I love everything about it from the lovable characters, the atmosphere, the animation, the humor, and of course the music. "Bare Necessities" is one of my top 5 favorite Disney songs. And at the risk of offending people, not only do I like more than "Let It Go", but I might also prefer it over "Hakuna Mattata" (hides behind shield). My Mom tells me of how she saw it at the drive-in theater when she was younger.

When I first heard Disney was adapting this film into another live action remake, I didn’t know what to think. But I was optimistic when I found out that one of my favorite directors, Jon Favreau, would be at the helm. And with every new cast member announced, I just became more and more excited. Bill Murray as Balloo? Awesome! Ben Kingsley as Bagheera? Perfect! Scarlett Johansson as Kaa? Love it! Lupita Nyong’o as Raksha? Nice! Idris Elba as Shere Khan? BRILLIANT! Christopher Walken as King Louie?



And when I saw the footage at D23 back in August, with Jon Favreau, Lupita Nyong’o, and Neel Sethi on stage, the audience went bananas! (Pun very much intended).

The Jungle Book has been one of my most anticipated films of 2016 for a while. And in a year that includes Captain America: Civil War, Finding Dory, and Star Wars: Rogue One, that is saying a lot!

And after seeing it with my Mom on Friday, I can say that it definitely lives up to the hype!

I’m sure by now you’ve already read plenty of reviews all telling you it’s great. If you were hoping for a different opinion, sorry to disappoint. What can I say? I just adore this movie!

This is probably the most gorgeous looking live action film Disney has made! Never have I seen a film so gorgeous, so perfect for 3D, since Avatar! Half the time, I forgot the animals were CGI. And part of that has to do with the actors.



Neel Sethi gives a star making performance as Mowgli, the man cub raised by wolves. He has such innocence and wonder that not many child actors can pull off. He’s not a perfect person. He makes mistakes just like every kid does. He’s raised to do what other wolves do, and to not do his “tricks”. He is a good role model for kids. His imperfections are part of what make him so endearing and likable. His character encourages kids that it’s ok to be different from the crowd. I look forward to seeing Neel Sethi in more films in the future.



And what can I say about Bill Murray as Baloo? It’s as if he was born to play this character! Murray posses the dry wit, charisma, and laid back attitude needed for Baloo. He is every bit as good as Phil Harris was in the original. And hearing him sing "Bare Necessities" gave me such nostalgia!



Ben Kingsley, I’m convinced, cannot give a bad performance if he tried! He plays Bagheera with such intelligence and warmth. Even though he’s a panther, he looks like someone you can trust with children.



Scarlett Johansson kills it as Kaa! Where in the original, Kaa was more of a slapstick character played for laughs, Scarlett Johansson portrays Kaa as a Siren. Her voice is just so naturally seductive and hypnotic. It’s already hard enough for any man to resist her charms in real life.



Lupita Nyong'o fresh off from playing Maz Kanata in Star Wars: The Force Awakens,  plays Rakshi, Mowgli’s wolf mother with such warmth and love. She’s comforting, but can be upfront when she wants.



Idris Elba’s Shere Khan is probably the best villain I’ve seen in a while! He’s so menacing and frightening, but so full of charisma. In my acting class in college, we talked about what makes a good villain. My teacher says that best villains don’t think of themselves as villains. They still possess this kind of warmth that makes them syphathetic. Shere Khan wants Mowgli dead because he hates man, and what they do with their “red flower” (fire). You can almost see it from his point of view, and why he wants what he wants. Shere Khan is one of my favorite Disney villains of all time, and Idris Elba does him justice!



And of course, Chrisopher Walken as King Louie! Christopher Walken is one of the most entertaining people alive. Even when he’s in a bad movie, he’s just so fascinating to watch. And his “Cowbell” sketch from SNL is one of the funniest things I’ve  ever seen. Having Walken as as King Louie is like a dream come true! He’s scary, but also funny. And his version of “I Wanna Be Like You” is pure magic!

I could go on. This is some of the most fun I’ve had at the movies in a long time! It had an engaging narrative, gorgeous CGI, and a perfect cast! Not only does this make me more optimistic about future Disney live action adaptations such as Beauty and the Beast. But it also makes me excited for the idea of Jon Favreau directing an Obi-Wan Kenobi anthology trilogy starring Ewan McGregor! If it’s as good as The Jungle Book, we’re in for a treat!

Disney is so happy with how this film turned out, they’ve already free lit a sequel! I don’t know if Baloo will be a pilot just like in Tail Spin. But as long as Jon Favreau is on board, so am I!

This movie is already having a great weekend at the box office, so you might as well join the party! You’ve worked hard enough. You owe it toy yourself to have a fun time, and enjoy the Bare Necessities of Life!



No comments:

Post a Comment